Thursday, April 23, 2009

part #2 of Shya/Valin/Faug

Well, I'm back again, with the next bit of the story I posted earlier today-the Lord of the Rings type one. And here is the rest of what I have so far (it's not a lot):

“Wait,” Shyasha ordered, suddenly tense.
“What?” Faug demanded. “I’m hungry.”
“SHUT UP!” Shyasha yelled in a stage whisper at him. “I think I hear something. Shut up so I can listen.”
All three were quiet for a moment.
“I knew it,” Shyasha muttered.
“What are we supposed to be hearing?” Faug asked blankly.
“Shut it already!”
“I did!”
“Keep it shut unless you want me to tell you to run in the wrong direction!”
They were all quiet some more. Neither Faug nor Valin heard anything, but their hearing wasn’t as good as Shyasha’s, so it was harder for them to hear what she was apparently hearing.
Then, very faintly, the two humans heard it, too. There was a very faint sound of hoof beats, growing ever louder. The two males couldn’t tell where the sound was coming from, but they could tell by the way Shyasha was poised, catlike, in a defensive sort of way, that whatever was coming was probably not going to be pleasant.
“Who’s coming?” Valin whispered.
“Multiple people,” Shyasha hissed back. “On horseback. They’re very fast horses, maybe even destriers. They’re covering ground like mad, and we’re not going to be able to outrun them if we try. They’re coming from the northeast, behind us, and heading right for us. There’s no time to run.”
“What do we do?” Faug asked.
“Up there,” Shyasha ordered, pointing at the branches of the strong-looking oak above their heads. “Now.”
“Why?” Faug demanded.
“This is not the time for questioning people’s judgment,” Valin said. “Get up there now or when we get back I’m telling mom the exact number of cookies you stole from the cookie jar!”
“You wouldn’t dare!”
“Yes, I would!”
“Well, we’re not going to be able to test Valin’s daring when it comes to telling your mom about cookies and jars if you guys don’t get off the road and into hiding!” Shyasha said. It was true. The hoof beats were so close that they shook the ground. The three could hear the heavy breathing of the horses and riders as they climbed the tree. Valin went first, ad then Shyasha handed Faug up, despite Faug trying to wriggle free. She was surprisingly strong. Shyasha went up last, hesitating to look over her shoulder before reaching up to grab the nearest branch and pull herself into the leaves.
Three figures rode below. One was on a white and grey horse, wearing a white cloak. They could see him for only a moment, and all they saw that might distinguish him in the future was that he had long grey hair and was carrying a long staff. The second figure was a young man on a chestnut horse who looked no older than eighteen. He had curly dark hair and was carrying a javelin. The third figure was on a black horse. His hair was black and close-cut, and his age seemed somewhere in between his two fellows. He wasn’t carrying anything.
“Telsiel,” Shyasha said quietly, looking after the three figures.
“What did you say?” Valin asked.
“That was Telsiel,” Shyasha said. “With Dalar. I don’t know who the other guy was, though.”
“You could see their faces?” Faug asked in awe.
“You couldn’t?”
“We’re not amazingly amazing, remember?” Faug said.
“Whatever.”
“Which one was Telsiel?” Valin asked.
“The one on the black horse.”
“Who is he?” Faug demanded.
“He’s just…nobody.”
“Really?” Faug said, as if he didn’t believe that Shyasha didn’t know the guy.
“We knew each other a while ago.”
“When was a while ago?” Faug asked.
“Before you were born,” Shyasha said shortly.
“Why do you keep saying that? Are you speaking in code?”
“Of course she’s speaking in code,” Valin said sarcastically.
“Really?” Faug asked eagerly.
“Yeah,” Valin said. “‘Before you were born’ is really, in all reality, code for ‘I am a moose.’”
“Really?”
“Use your brain, dummy. Of course not.”
“BOYS!” Shyasha said sternly.
“What?” they protested together.
“Who wants food?”

Chapter 4
The next few days passed without much hassle. They always woke up before dawn and ate hardy but uncooked ranger food while they were still moving, only stopping for meals when it was light out.




That's all I have so far. I will keep you posted on the story (ha! post! blog! ha! I have to POST an entry on my BLOG in order for you to SEE IT, so if I'm going to keep you POSTED....I'm making absolutely no sense, am I?)


All right. The end.

No comments: