Monday, April 27, 2009

Ungora/ Indigo # 3

Chapter 1-Indigo

"Indigo, time to get up."
"Five more minutes."
"I've already given you twenty. Time to get up."
"Whatever." I rolled over and almost fell asleep again when my mom tugged the blanket off me, exposing my body to the cool dawn air.
"Fine, I'm up, I'm up, I'm awake," I mumbled, sitting up and rubbing my eyes, honestly, I was glad to be awake. My dream had been closer to be a nightmare, with a bunch of dead people and an evil robot type thing that looked exactly like me, but somehow different.
Now I was awake, I knew the basic routine-get my day clothes, wash in the river (here meaning diving in fully clothed and coming right back out and changing in a tree), come back home, get a bag, find edible stuff, bring it back, eat it, and then do whatever it is that my mom wanted me to do, usually involving hunting, fishing, weapon training, going out in the woods, or just something outdoors. I was a vegetarian, but my mom wasn't, so I had to hunt for her. The woods were my home, though, enough said. Mom said I wasn't born here, but I didn't care. I was at home in the forest. I knew every twist and turn of every path and back road and everywhere in between. I knew the right and wrong way to the castle, all the paths that the royals and nobles and everyone else took, all the good hiding places if you accidentally took a wrong turn and nearly ran into one of them, and everything that was basic instinct for a forest-dweller. Most of my community's survival depended on knowing the back roads.
You see, most of my community are outlaws, not because they killed someone or stole something, but because of who they are. They are witches that lived in the towns, elves, fairies, pixies, nymphs, sprites, and centaurs. But there are only two centaurs and three witches, one of them being my mom. The king, Ungora, banned all but warrior elves, hunter elves, and some female nymphs from the countries. And he didn't ban humans. Basically, if its structural anatomy was weird or it could do magic and wasn't working for the government, it was banished from the country. Most of them didn't want to leave, however. They new about the communities in the woods, or at least some of them did, and they went there. Originally there were only three wood communities, comprising mainly of wood elves, wood nymphs, and any sort of creature who belonged in the forest and didn't like civilized live. But when Ungora came into power, the banished creatures in the cities who knew about the forest communities went there and took friends. Since it's been fifteen years since Ungora took the throne, most people had reproduced, and the population exceeded the limits that three communities could hold, so new communities were formed all over the mountains.

No comments: