Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Ungora/ Indigo # 9

I watched the decoy grow up over the years into a young woman who could fight better than anyone. She only had one friend her age- a nerdy scholar-mage named Swebo, who could tell you every spell protecting the castle and exactly how to undo it. He also has a bizarre talent for knowing the exact time everything happened-when you walked in the door, for example. He knows practically everything to know about the castle, and showed the decoy princess everything he could when they had time.
Even with her good-intending friend, the decoy, Cacyta, grew up disillusioned. First, obviously, she wasn't actually the princess. Second, Ungora taught her to only trust those who lived in the castle. All other creatures were evil or beneath her. it was in her best interest-he'd always had a soft spot for Cacyta, and he wanted to protect her, even though her upbringing wasn't totally honest.
This morning, however, Cacyta told Ungora that she'd met someone on her hunt. That made me think, but Ungora wasn't happy that Cacyta didn't have the guts to kill. Ungora said to me, after she'd left, "Cancala, you've been around too long. You know too much."
"I do know a lot," I said to him. "And that's why I'm the only one you can trust. And I also know for sure that Cacyta isn't the twin of the princess. Another thing I know is that the real princess is alive and well. And I also know that I'm quitting. You've hurt too many people, and I can't stand it." So I left and got here a few minutes before you did, Indigo. Tat necklace you're wearing means you're royal, and that, obviously, means that you're the princess.


Chapter 5- Indigo

"I'm...royal?" I stammered.
"Yes. You see, that necklace shows up on the true heir to the throne when the crown would be disputed in that person's lifetime."
"But what if I died?"
"Then Ungora would get it."
"But...why should I be the princess?"
"So people will get out of this mess. They're really desperate."
"But isn't Ungora, like, invincible?"
"No, actually, he isn't. Nobody is. Not even you."
"But why do I have to overthrow him? Why me?"
"There was a prophecy-one who has fallen will rise again, more powerful than before. Something like that. It's talking about your father-he was in power, and his power died with him, but he will rise through you, more powerful than him, because you're stronger than him, and people will like you more, probably, for getting them out of Ungora's reign."
"So, basically, I'm supposed to singlehandedly kill this guy, take power, and rule the country without the slightest idea how to do it?"
"Something like that. But you'll have help."
"Like what?"
"You can change your appearance, right?"
"Sort of, yeah. So?" I could change, but it was only minor things like changing my ears when I changed races and growing wings. I couldn't change my hair without something sharp and I couldn't change my height or weight or eye color or anything.
"So change into a human. Go into the city. See for yourself how bad it is. If you talk to people, they'll tell you how much they hate it. Then you can befriend some of them and they'll help you infiltrate the castle."
"That's too simple," Layla cut in. "If they're going to infiltrate, they're going to need someone who knows their way around the castle. Like you, Cancala."
"That's a point," Cancala said.
"But..." I began to protest. they looked at me, waiting for met to say something. I couldn't think of what to say, all of a sudden. "But...why...I'm...how am I supposed to go down to the city and blend in without it being completely obvious that I'm new."
"That should be relatively easy. Somehow," Cancala said easily.
"That's very encouraging," I told him sarcastically.

No comments: