So I did my 8 gup test today for tae kwon do. It wasn't NEARLY as hard as the 1st dan test was. Maybe it's because I was a vegetarian then and I was terrible at getting protein in my diet. Maybe it's because I had gatorade this time. Maybe it's because there were fewer people testing in the same room as me so it wasn't as rigorus. One would think that it would be more rigorous if there were fewer people, but it wasn't. Maybe it was because almost all of us were from the same dojang, even the tester. Well, whatever it was, the test went a lot better than last time.
For all of you who don't know, the 1st dan is the 1st degree, and 8 gup is like a quarter step above 1st degree. It's cooler than first degree but not quite as cool as 6 gup. But it wasn't entirely awesome. Like now my thumb on my right hand kind of hurts from sparring (which also went better than in March because I was sparring my friends almost the entire time, except for once), the back of my left hand kind of hurts from board breaking, since backfist was one of my moves, and my leg kind of hurt during sparring because of excessive use of blocking kicks.
It could have been worse, though. Another guy from my dojang did some really intense double handed thing for one of his board breaks and ended up like popping something in his wrist and it swelled up a lot. For a while I thought his wrist was broken because it was swelling a lot, but he said it didn't hurt as much as it did when he broke his arm. So I dunno. Either way, they put some ice on it and the swelling went down. But it was scary, partially because he's so intense when he's breaking boards, and partially because his wrist was swelling so much. I saw it after he was done breaking, and it was kind of bad. I looked away for a few seconds to watch my friend do some of her breaks, then when I looked back, it looked like someone had put half a baseball on his wrist.
And for some reason, I keep typing writs instead of wrist.
Maybe it's because my index finger kind of hurts from my breaks.
But I did break all of my boards, which was kind of amazing for me, because sparring and board breaking are my bad parts. I even managed to break spin axe kick on the first try, which is like the hardest kick ever. Except for spin round kick. And spin back kick. For spin round kick, you're hitting the board with the top of your foot, which is hard enough to break with, even if you're not doing the spin. Spin back kick is just like jump back kick or regular back kick, just with a spin that throws everything out of whack and makes it near impossible to hit anything right. I was nearly going to break with spin back kick, but then I decided to do jump back kick instead.
It's just easier.
And even though we had to do "high belt moves," if you just add a "jump" to the front of the name of any kick, it automatically makes it a "high belt move."
The annoying thing is that all the kicks that are reall fun are the ones that are hard to break with. Like spin back kick. Very fun, but I can't break with it for my life. Same with spin round kick. Plus spin round kick is very painful if you don't do it right and have to do the kick five times in a row before you break it. It's also painful if you do do it right. And it's also painful if you do it right but then miss the target and end up hitting the side of the board. That's the most painful one.
Anyway, afterwards we went to get ice cream. We usually would eat it at the place, but as my dad was in a hurry, we got it in a carton. And my fingers were hurting, so the cartons served as ice packs.
Okay, I'm going now.
No comments:
Post a Comment