Friday, November 27, 2009

Weird.

The strange thing is, I seem to be actually *gasp* UNDERSTANDING SHAKESPEARE!? But the other odd thing is, I seem to be acutally *gasp* ENJOYING SHAKESPEARE!? Where did THIS come from? I was just reading Romeo and Juliet, because I'm a nerd and because I have to for English class, and, for some strange reason or another, I actually GET what they're saying in the garden scene. I was totally befuddled by all of it when I saw it with the all male cast last year. It was SHAKESPEARE, which was TOTALLY confusing to me then, but I actually sort of get it now. WHAT'S GOING ON HERE??? Maybe it's because it's like the most famous love scene in all of forever. Maybe it's because the people are actually MY AGE, for a change. They were all around thirty in the show. And there is the small fact that they were all DUDES in the show. And everyone in "Midsummer Night's Dream" was like thirty as well. But whatever the reason, it's actually sort of making sense now. Maybe because I read the summary.
I really have no idea.
Maybe it's because I used Spark Notes for half of Act Two.
But it's probably because this scene has all the lines I recognize from Shakespeare. Like, "But soft! What light from yonder window breaks?"
And, "O Romeo, Romeo! Wherefore art thou Romeo?"
And it's got all the funny bits. Except for the line about being out of breath between Juliet and the Nurse, which comes in like Act 3 or something. Anyway, I don't get why it's suddenly making sense.
Maybe it's because it's been a whole year since I last did anything to do with this show, so I've had time to get smart and stuff. Whatever.

No comments: