Since I actually have deadlines I need to make for Creative Writing, this has been Super Epically Helpful in forcing me to go forward with the story I am currently working on. As I have to turn in 1200 words a week, it is IMMENSELY helpful in forcing me to write something for every story. (It also helps that last weekend I wrote 2100 words. I am currently at 2800 words. Now is the time when I actually have to start doing a lot more. Not that I mind. But still.) Anyhoo, here is the next set of (about) 1200 words. I DO have more stockpiled, but it's only about half a page, so don't get your hopes up until next week.
So here it is. Read it, comment on it, print it out and write all over it, whatever.
After my grandfather’s death, I knew that it was finally my time to have the adventure I’d always dreamed of. The only problem was getting Mum to understand that Grampa had asked me to, even after relaying every detail of our conversation to her.
“Nikita, you know better than to believe his stories,” Mum told me for what felt like the millionth time. I had tried and failed to get my mother to let me go on the mission while we chopped vegetables for dinner. “He was raving more and more as he got older and older.”
“You just don’t want to believe that I’m growing up, is that it?” I demanded.
“No, it’s because your grandfather had a very big imagination when he was younger, and as he got older, he began to confuse it with reality,” Mum shot back.
“But everyone knows that Shyasha Rinkari existed,” I insisted. “If she existed, why should Sparraben be a fragment of his imagination?”
“Because…” Mum’s voice faltered; the steady beat of her knife on the cutting board ceased abruptly. I looked up from my pile of parsnips. “I’ve heard stories of Sparraben,” Mum said quietly. “Beyond the ones your grandfather told, I mean. The man doesn’t sound like the most trustworthy of companions.”
“Everyone says that about Rangers,” I answered at once. Had I been around anyone else but my mother, I wouldn’t have the confidence to argue my point. Whenever I went into town, I would always accept insults and jokes without comment, and whenever I talked to anyone, be it the town crier or one of the farm hands, I would never state my own view and always agree with theirs, even if it differed radically from my own.
“Well, maybe it’s true,” Mum replied, returning to the carrots she was cutting. Mum’s opinion of Rangers was not uncommon – the rumors said they had dark magic and were really double agents against the rulers in Norasona, though Grampa said that was nonsense, and the Rangers just got a bad rap because they were a group who rarely took apprentices, lurked in dark shadows unseen, and had a greater knowledge of weaponry than most of the Royal Army combined.
“I still think it’s because you’re over protective,” I told her persistently. “I’m not a kid anymore, Mother. Grampa had been on loads of adventures by the time he was thirteen-”
“Grampa had nobody but your great-Uncle Valin to look after him from the time he was about five, so that’s irrelevant,” Mum interrupted.
“It would also be an insult to his memory to not try to heed his wishes, even if they turn out to be complete rubbish,” I added.
“I still don’t like the idea of you wandering around alone in the middle of Silvercourt Forest,” Mum said, taking a different tack. “There are dark creatures lurking in there.”
“Dark creatures lurk everywhere, Mum,” I sighed. “The trick is to find out which are the bad ones before they eat you.”
“You’re not going,” Mum snapped with a horribly irritating finality.
“Why?” I demanded; setting down my knife with more force than I thought was in my arms.
“I’ve just told you why,” Mum growled. When she’s mad, she doesn’t yell, she just gets kind of dark and vicious.
“Because you’re scared I’m going to die because my supposedly lunatic grandfather gave me the name of an allegedly untrustworthy Ranger who lives in a location with dark creatures and told me that I might be able to save the world?”
“Because it’s a dangerous enterprise no matter which way you slice it, and that would be far too unsafe an endeavor for any thirteen-year-old to undertake.”
“Mum, there’s going to be danger anywhere I go,” I told her.
She was quiet after that, and I decided I shouldn’t argue my point further.
I didn’t know why I had such a strong urge to seek out Sparraben, but I knew that, whatever my mother said, I would be packing a bag right after dinner and be leaving before dawn, regardless of whether anyone tried to stop me. And that’s what happened.
When I returned to my room that evening, I immediately began putting items into my small satchel for the next morning. I didn’t pack much, but I knew it would save a lot of time later on. I put in my flint, a knife for defense, a few spare changes of clothing, what little money I had, and my boots for when the weather got cold – since it was the middle of the summer, I normally walked around barefoot. My plan was to steal some food from the pantry when I left, to avoid the risk of Mum or Jack waking up for a midnight snack and finding the food gone before I had left the house.
I didn’t sleep at all that night. I knew that I would need rest for my journey, but I spent the night in terror that someone would find out my plan and foil it. In truth, I could only sometimes stand up to my mother like I had before dinner. On the rare occasion that I did find my guts and use them to my advantage, my nerves spent the next few hours wondering if, when, and how badly she would retaliate.
When the horizon finally started to go pink, I rose from my cot and walked quietly over to the pantry, where I retrieved some fruits, vegetables, and a few muffins from the bakery – enough to last me through at least two days. Slinging my bag over my shoulder, I crept out the door, walking through the grass of the yard so as to not leave footprints, and continued west, away from the sun. I don’t know why I was so sure that the Silvercourt Forest lay to the west; I was, however, completely certain of the fact that I was going to be walking for a long time, and that I did not want to have a headache from staring into the sun too long right after I’d succeeded in leaving home.
After walking away from the sun long enough to have the heat start moving from my back to the top of my head, I finally reached the outer edges of the Silvercourt Forest.
At home, my usual view of the world involved horizon and wheat to the north, south, and west, and wheat, the village, and our house to the east. During my long walk that morning, my view changed gradually – the house and eventually the walls of the village and, after a long while, our farm, vanished from view as I went farther and farther, occasionally snacking on bits of muffin. Over the last hour and a half, the Silvercourt Forest began looming over the horizon, growing steadily nearer and progressively darker and more intimidating.
Now that I’d reached the edge of the forest, I could see that the trees grew so close together that the roots were intertwined. The tangled roots gave the forest a look of old strength and deep, powerful magic. I could barely see past the first few trees, and a sudden thought struck me – anything could be lurking in the shadows, waiting to strike. Anything and everything in that dark mass of trees had the power to inflict pain if it wanted to, even the vegetation. That, more than anything, made me realize that there was more to this whole questing thing that a few stolen blueberry muffins and that I really should have packed a bigger knife.
2 comments:
I love how you work humor into your story-- it's subtle and not the POINT of the tale; it's almost link a wink to the reader... like the part about the muffins at the very end.
I also think you capture the spirit of an argument between a protective mother and a bold teenager really well (and I sense that the mother has some more intelligent reason behind her refusal that she isn't sharing at this particular moment...)-- you do a good job entering into both the conscience of the mother and of the child.
THIS IS GREAT, and I am thoroughly enjoying reading it; YAY!
Thank you!!!
(and the mom sort of has a bigger reason that's just a suspicion, but nobody will tell Nikita what it is. Which would be really annoying. 'yeah, kid, someone's *SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER*. you shouldn't know that, though, you're to young.' :P)
Post a Comment