Well, next Tuesday (not day after tomorrow Tuesday - Tuesday the 14th) is prom. Yes, I know that it's unconventional to have prom on a Tuesday, but my school's awesome and that's what we do. Also, I don't think our school is important enough (and I don't think the seniors have enough money) to shut down the venue on a weekend for prom. It's at the Kennedy Center. Which is kind of awesome in itself - it's like DC's Broadway.
Anyway, since I can (and because I want to, and because I don't think anyone else has ever tried), I'm knitting my dress for prom. I don't have a backup, yet, but I've made an agreement with my mother that if I haven't done at least half of the back bodice by Saturday, we're going to go buy a dress. Either way, we have to go out and get shoes - my date and I are about the same height, so I can't wear heels, and I don't have formal flats. I was sort of considering wearing hi tops, but then my brother and my mom and the mother I babysit for talked me out of it.
And I also found out that he isn't going to wear hi tops (he's the kind of guy who'd go either way), so it would look really weird. So yeah. I need proper flats.
I really want to knit the dress, though. I mean, not only will it get me super awesome creative points, it'll also be totally unique - nobody else will have a dress exactly like mine, because I designed it and made it myself (Okay, I didn't design the lace bit. So I designed MOST of it. But still).
Also, some underclassmen may see the dress and ask me to do their fall formal dresses, which'll help me pay for college! (As much as I love my underclass friends, they'll still have to pay. It won't be as much as they probably have to pay for a normal dress... or maybe it will, because it's handmade... I'll figure that out later) Win-win!
Also, I want to finish knitting my dress just so I can say that I made something cool. Regardless of who is wearing it when, making something cool is really fun. And awesome. And stuff.
Needless to say, if you were considering asking me to knit something, you have to wait until after next Tuesday. If you were considering asking me to knit your prom dress... ask me next April.
No comments:
Post a Comment