Monday, February 20, 2012

hiking and procrastination

Well, I AM procrastinating (a bit) on doing my calculus homework, but it is already mostly done, so it is not TOO bad...  right?

Anyhow, I am pretty sure I am officially going to Philmont.  As such, I have to go to a ton of training hikes, and I have to train every day on my own (this is partly to prove to my mom that it is NOT one of my lunatic ideas and that I really do intend to go hiking in the New Mexican mountains for a week this summer, so she will contribute to my Going to Philmont Fund).  This is all well and good, I guess.  However, training hikes are HARD.  For example, I slowed everyone down today on a thirteen-mile hike by actually packing up to weight.  Admittedly, it is not the sort of weight one would normally carry on the trail - textbooks, sweatshirts, and the sleeping bag I am most assuredly NOT taking on the trail - but it was still weight.

Eventually, one of our adults got frustrated with my being consistently behind, so he took out two of my textbooks and gave them to one of our other leaders (who had not brought much, because this was her first training hike) and to his daughter (who was slightly annoyed that she had been issued my calculus textbook).
Now my legs hurt.  Like, a lot.  And I get to do homework, even though I am exhausted!  Huzzah!

Not really.  I admit, I brought it on myself by not doing homework yesterday, though I DID get a water bladder (one of those water bottles - mine is made by Camelback - that is basically a water pouch and has a straw that feeds through one's backpack so one can drink water without having to carry one's water bottle outside of one's pack, thus leaving one's hands free to do as one pleases) and I made vegetarian lo mein yesterday.  It was exciting.

I now can cook for myself!

Admittedly, I will not get much protein, since I did not put chicken or tofu in the lo mein, and I will probably have bathroom issues from too many vegetables if I make it every day, and I will probably gain a lot of weight because it can get really fatty, but I can SURVIVE ON MY OWN!  WOOHOO!!!!!!

Well... roughly speaking.  I guess.

Anyhow, enough procrastination (for now).  ON TO HOMEWORK!




p.s.  I TOTALLY forgot about it, but sixteen days ago (record lateness FTW!) was the blog's third anniversary.  HAPPY BIRTHDAY, BLOG!

No comments: