Just so I don't forget later, here's the link for this note session:
http://74.125.47.132/search?q=cache:RwVihkdEIm4J:listserver.njit.edu/pipermail/ais/2002q1/000064.html+arranged+marriage+for+%22indian+americans%22+in+america&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=2&gl=us
Traditionally in an Indian marriage, the woman moves in with the man for a joint family situation, and many Indian American females don't want to. Many parents forsee this and pressure their son into an arranged marriage. The author of the link I'm researching said that his friend from home got married to an Indian girl and explained that his mom introduced them and they started writing and then got married a while later. Apparently, the story behind these trends are all based on Hindu concepts of love and marriage, because apparently Lord Krishna loved Radha but married Rukmini, because he believed that love was different from marriage because in marriage it wasn't just the two individuals getting married but also the two families joining. Then the author of the link I'm researching says, and I quote, "This concept does not justify Indian male behavior in America." ??????. A law student who had been in the US for quite a while noticed that the Indian guys were dating Indian girls in the US but going back to India to get married to a different girl. So they fulfilled all their hopes and dreams about girls in the US and then went home and found a nice, docile wife. Well that's pleasant. Many Indian-American guys thought that their female counterparts were too independent and liberated and not interested enough in culture. They just aren't used to the attitude of the girls and want a person closer in personality to their moms.
Well, I am most certainly not done with research, so I'm going undercover and researching this week during my free block. Right now, however, I need to have some time to myself where research and mothers aren't involved. Later.
No comments:
Post a Comment