Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Ungora/ Indigo #4

Due to the weird way our reproduction system works, the communities became incredibly diverse, with not only the usual breeds of whatever normally lives out here, but also really weird hybrids like minotaurs, and really rare things like trolls, ogres, and goblins, who split into their own communities after the populations in the communities became dangerous. The minotaurs were the really dangerous ones, but that was only when they were mad. The trolls were amazingly strong, the ogres had epic tempers, and the goblins were always stealing stuff from everyone, and they all had decent respect for outsiders like us, so they left. The trolls went to the valleys, the ogres went higher up the mountains, the minotaurs spread out to the next set of hills, and the goblins went into the caves or underground.
As for me, I've always been different from everyone. I'm fifteen, but I'm almost as tall as-and much stronger than-the average adult man. I'm an elf, technically, because I don't normally sprout wings, and I like the elf form, as the elf body is very versatile, but I CAN sprout wings and I CAN fly and I know magic of every breed alive. I have the skills and best qualities of every breed except the ogres-I have issues with too many things for it to be called an asset. I've always been different from everyone else, and I never really knew why. I mean, except for my issues with stuff and strength and things like that. But I don't really have a reputation for losing my temper and beating people to a pulp. I'm just...different. I know I'm a mix of everything, and people don't normally know that, but they sort of sense it. That's why I liked being on my own, for the most part.

I walked to the river and back in my usual quiet way. On my way back, though, a shiver of motion caught my eye. It was the slightest nudge of a bush, hardly worth noticing, but for some reason it seemed out of place. The best way to deal with these situations, I had learned, was to feign disregard but have one hand ready to pull an arrow if you had to.
I continued on my way more slowly, with one hand on my bow, listening carefully. I heard steps behind me and heavy, ragged breathing. Human breath, by the sound of it. Male, probably, or else a really tall and broad female. I couldn't judge the distance, but whoever it was sounded close. My hearing, although good for long-distance, was hard to use for judging distance. We had these situations sometimes-some of the king's men would try to follow us when we were alone to find where our camps were or find out what we were up to. I have no idea why.
When whoever or whatever was following me was in close range-close enough to be smelled and close enough for me to be uncomfortably aware of them, anyway-I turned quickly, tugging out an arrow, putting it to my bow, and pulling the string to the corner of my mouth in one smooth motion. I caught the person right in the face, a startled expression all over her face.
She was about my height-around five foot eleven- but we were almost total opposites in every other regard. My hair cascaded in a dark mahogany sheet to my knees, but her pale blond hair was cropped in a very short style, kind of like she was in the military or something. My eyes were slanted, small-ish and dark brown, while her round eyes were electric blue. But probably the biggest difference was in what we were wearing.
her outfit was close-cropped, tight, and very uncomfortable looking. Her shirt was a courtly sort of style-very tight on the body and very loose, puffy sleeves. It looked like it was made of silk or some other really nice fabric that comes in bright green. Her pants, which looked like some other really nice fabric, hugged every single contour of her legs, and her boots looked brand new and made from the best leather ever.
My outfit, on the other hand, wasn't nearly as nice, but my clothes' practicality was a lot better. My faded, greenish-brown cotton shirt wasn't as tight as hers, which allowed for more air circulation so I didn't over heat.My loose pants were also greenish-brown, which allowed for camouflage, but it also allowed for air circulation. The only part where my pants were slightly tight was at the waistband so they didn't fall off. I was barefoot.
"What are you?" she demanded, obviously repulsed. In Bayast, this was the equivalent of "who are you?"
"Not your father," I replied, equally aggressive.
"Seriously," she insisted in an annoying tone. She was probably royal, based on the haughty tone she was consistently using.
"Witch, warrior elf, and forest nymph," I said. I usually said a maximum of three species, since that, for most hybrids, was the biggest cross that people had. I kept my tone aggressive and glared her right in the eye. "What are you?"
"Warrior elf and hunter. And Princess. Cacyta. Lower your weapon."
"Why should I?" I growled. She definitely acted like the princess. She dressed like a princess. She was arrogant enough to be the princess. But that didn't mean she was THE princess.
"Because I'm the princess," she replied, maintaining the haughty, girlish tone. "And I order you to."
I moved my arrow from pointing in between her eyes to pointing at her mouth. "Happy?"
"All the way."
"You're trying to let me off my guard. It won't work."
"Very good. But it will work."
"And why is that?"
"Look around. I've got you surrounded." I glanced around. Nobody. I had barely turned my head, so I couldn't get a full scope, but the nymph part of me told me that she was the only unwelcome person in the immediate area.

No comments: