"You haven't got me surrounded. And you were trying to get me off guard again. I'm telling you, it won't work."
"How do you KNOW?"
"I'm a forest nymph, remember? I'm connected to the forest. I can tell that you haven't got me. And I know not to take my eyes off you because you're a warrior and you're a hunter, and you're going to make a move as soon as you think I'm not paying attention."
"How do you know that?" Her voice was suspicious.
"Trial and error. That's the best way to learn, as I've found out. I guess you were trained by all the top hunters and warriors in the kingdom."
"Yes, as a matter of fact, I was."
"They forgot one major lesson."
"That being...?"
"Your clothes. You need air circulation so you don't overheat. See, you're already breaking a sweat and I'm fine. And you shouldn't wear your best shoes."
"But they said-"
"They make more noise. The prints on the bottom are strong, too. It'll be easier for someone to track you if they wanted to."
"What are you doing here?"
"I live here. You don't. So my question is, what are YOU dong here?"
"Trying to corner one like you."
"May I inquire as to why?"
"The King doesn't like you people. I don't either, for that matter. He wants you all rounded up and sold as slaves. It serves you right. This forest is horrible, too. When I'm queen, this all will go."
"You don't belong here. And you're going to annoy the forest if you keep going on like that."
"The forest doesn't have feelings."
"You don't know that. And you don't belong here, so I recommend you leave."
"I have as much right to be here as you do. More, in fact. I'm on a mission, you're living a worthless life. The King's going to track all of you down and-"
"If he's doing it, why isn't he here instead of you? Why make the PRINCESS, of all people, come out and track us down?"
"I don't question the King. Neither should you. He trusts me, and that's all that matters."
"Well, if he's not a coward-"
"I didn't say that he was a coward, I would never-"
"You like him, don't you?"
"He's my FATHER, of course-"
"If he's so great, why did he-why IS he-exiling so many innocent creatures who didn't do anything wrong?"
"Because they AREN'T innocent, they're a threat!"
"HOW are they a threat?"
"They wanted to throw over the kingdom!! And the newborn would cause a rebellion if he didn't do something!"
"They wanted to go on with life! By throwing them out, he's giving them reason to rebel, if anything!"
"They won't rebel, they're miserable!"
"That's what makes people rebel!"
"What do you know?"
"A fat lot more than you do, it seems."
"You're wrong."
"Oh, really? Tell me, what exactly has Daddy told you about the mean elfies and the horrible others?"
"They're against the authorities, because they've gone wrong in the head-all of them. Theran, the old king, gave them too much freedom. They had to be put right. The world is better off without them living near civilized people."
"What if I told you that they were just the same as you, except not royal? That they only wanted to rebel after they were exiled for no reason? You're an elf. You shouldn't stand for this."
"I'm not an elf."
"You are. You're a warrior elf, remember? You said so yourself. And your ears are just like mine. Ungora's the one who's out of order. Tell him that from me."
"You're wrong," she repeated.
With that, she turned and left.
No comments:
Post a Comment