Wednesday, March 23, 2011

novel lag

I'm exceedingly behind on my novel. It is kind of crazy how far behind I am. I'm supposed to end on page 108 by the end of today. I'm on page 40. This isn't going to end well. Unless I stop blogging RIGHT NOW and start writing and somehow speed write fourteen pages a day for the next week. And then do six pages for the three days after that. Or something to that effect. I haven't done the calculations yet. Well, none that involve page counts per day. That made absolutely no sense, did it? Anyway, the point is, I'm going to have to get no sleep and a really bad writer's cramp for the next week and a half if I want to get back on schedule. Which I kind of do. Because I want to finish the novel.

I checked out a book from the library on Saturday about how teens can get published. So far, it has mostly covered short stories and poetry competitions and publishers - well, those are the only ones that I've seen, anyway. It's also a bit out of date - I'm pretty sure it was published in the mid-90's, so there's the fact that there could be more/ fewer publishers who want to publish teen writing than there were when the book was published. Just saying. But, so far, the bits I have read for the "Before You Submit" parts have been really helpful, because they most likely still apply to any writer. So yeah.

In other news, I auditioned for the all-grades show today. I can't spell the title of the show - the drama teacher wrote it, and the title is the name of the mythical country to which the main character goes in a dream. So yeah. A lot of my friends wonder why I auditioned for the show, because in two all-grades shows we've been in, rehearsals mostly consist of middle schoolers being insane, high schoolers getting headaches, and some blocking and line memorizing getting done on the side. My answer is that it's still EXPERIENCE, no matter who gets casted in what role. I still act to figure out what I can do better in performance, no matter how idiotic the middle schoolers are. I mean, it's still annoying for them to be so loud so much of the time, but there are some that are okay. To middle schoolers, big casts mean more time to hang out with friends, and more friends to hang out with. Although that's mostly true, I feel like most middle schoolers would be okay with shutting up while other people learn their blocking, but all the mental middle schoolers get cast and goof off just to get a rise out of the others, which causes the others to rise up to the challenge, which causes all the commotion.

And that's my rant for today. I will be writing for the rest of the block, and if you care to interrupt, be prepared for pain.

No comments: