Sunday, May 22, 2011

I can't believe it's over...

Wow. The world premiere of "Benagridazir" is over. I cannot believe it's done. I really have yet to get my head around it. Honestly, it's kind of like... AAAHHH!!! I'm not sure whether to be happy about the time that I now have to read about dead Greek guys, do psychotherapy for mathematics, and study stuff that happened in the US fifty years ago, or to be sad that I no longer will have a connection to Piper, or to anyone else in the cast, or to just say goodbye to the show in general. It makes me exceedingly sad to say goodbye to Piper - I know it sounds weird to talk about my character as an actual person, but it feels like she is. I think she's too much a part of me to not be an actual person in some sense. Does that sound strange? I don't care if I'm going slightly mad - everyone needs to be slightly insane in order to survive.
Closing night went really well. I kept having this feeling that someone I knew from forever ago would come see the show, or that something amazingly epic would happen during or after the show or something, but it didn't.
Well, nothing EXCEEDINGLY epic.
The biggest thing that happened is that I got some mini motivational monologues because I was kind of nervous for some reason, and also none of the sound effects worked, so the lights were up for like three minutes before I went on for the first time, because I was waiting for the sound cue that didn't come.
Which sucked.
But whatever.
The show went on, and we survived, and it was wonderful.
The cast party was held at a minor character's house, and it was kind of amazing in its own right because her house is HUGE. They have a backyard the size of my house that contains a trampoline and a half-size basketball court.
Since it was warm out, we did the paper plate awards on the basketball court (I think it was also because that was the only well-lit area that could hold everybody).
We did paper plates a bit differently this time - instead of the director coming up with good paper plates for half the cast and lousy ones for the other half, she just announced who was getting the plate and had members of the cast suggest the award, and then she wrote down a few of them on the plate, so we each got seven warm and fuzzies on one paper plate award. It was also a good way to do warm and fuzzies without actually saying that we were doing warm and fuzzies.
For those of you who don't know what warm and fuzzies are... they're when you say lots of nice stuff about other people in your group; they usually happen on mission trips or at cast parties and stuff - places where people feel like they've become each other's unbiological family.
It tends to happen a lot with shows and, apparently, in movies - I think I read some Johnny Depp or Gene Wilder quote that supports the claim that your castmates are your temporary unbiological family.
And any other actor can probably vouch for me as well.

No comments: