Well, tonight is opening night. I'm kind of psyched, but I'm also kind of nervous. I didn't say this earlier because I was in denial about it, but the love interest had to drop out last Saturday because of some family issues. He was replaced by the director's son, who is two years younger than me and clearly didn't want to do the role OR the show (probably partially because his mom wrote the show and was the director and was making him kiss someone). The son is good, but the awkward kiss scene... the awkwardness is still there, but it's a different sort of awkwardness - more like "Hi! I'm supposed to have a crush on/ kiss the director's son!" instead of "Hi! You're an attractive senior, and I'm actually sort of nervous around you! And now I have to kiss you! AAAAAAHHHHHH!!!!!!"
But still, the show must go on. And so it's going on in five hours. I have to be here an hour and a half early, of course - I'll be arriving at six to change and do makeup before a 6:15 fight call.
And then the show goes up.
I'm still kind of in denial. It's really hard to believe that the show is going up. I mean, we only rehearsed for like a month and a bit. Having been in more school musicals than school plays, I'm used to having two-hour rehearsals nearly every day for a minimum of two months (usually around 2.5 months), and then three-hour rehearsals, then four-hour rehearsals, then five-hour rehearsals during tech week. But with this show, we did two-hour rehearsals two or three times a week for a month and a half, and then three- or four-hour rehearsals this week.
So part of the reason I'm kind of like "whoa, this is opening night" is because there wasn't as much buildup to it.
I mean, yes, there was buildup, but... yesterday, I got home at around seven thirty. During tech week of the musical, I got home at around ten.
I feel about the same amount of pressure for this show as I did for the musical, just in a different way. In this show, I'm one of two people who really drives the production, because I'm the main character. If I flub, I have to cover, and it's really awkward. In the musical, if I flub up, the choreography looks weird or props don't get taken onstage or something, and then the entire scene looks horrid because a minor actress missed something. Trust me, it happens.
So no pressure or anything.
Also, COME SEE THE SHOW!
No comments:
Post a Comment