Well, I was late this morning. Which was bad. Camp was good, though, because we actually got to block the first scene at the end of today. After we blocked the first scene, we spent half an hour in our 'offices' (each person's little corner to put their stuff in and hang out in for work time) working on our lines. This involved three things:
1. figuring out the rhythms of the lines. There are more variations on the emphasized beats in Shakespearean verse than I thought existed. Each pair of beats is called a foot, and within each foot there are four different possible pairings, and each pairing has a different name that I do not remember. Oh, the joys of learning stuff in the summer!
2. paraphrasing - this really means 'translating, line for line, your Shakespeare lines into language you would normally use without killing the meaning.' This is more difficult because a lot of Shakespeare's words have become obsolete, and some of them have several different meanings that could affect the meaning of the line in different ways.
3. essential memorization of lines and such. This is rather easy when you're analyzing the phrases so much.
So far it has been a good time at camp (aside from missing the bus this morning. And also taking an hour and a half to get back because the metro was slow and crowded today, so I missed the bus AGAIN, which meant that I had to take the 6:22 bus home, which was annoying).
Anyway, now I'm home, and now I must eat. Farewell until the morrow!
No comments:
Post a Comment