Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Sherlock, dorkiness, and NaNo songs

Greetings! First off, I just saw the most recent Sherlock Holmes movie, and I HIGHLY recommend it because it was one of the most bloody brilliant movies I have seen in quite some time (in the fast-paced way full of mind-boggling logic and observations that only Sherlock Holmes, even the one played by Robert Downey Jr., can come up with). I enjoyed it immensely.
Second of all, I want to admit to my increased amounts of dorkiness. I didn't mention this yesterday (not sure why), but I went to the National Air and Space Museum in DC yesterday, and while I was there, I found William Shatner's memoirs of "Star Trek."
Yes, I bought it.
And yes, I understand most of the "Star Trek" references that are reasonably rampant within it. It would be impossible to write a memoir of a franchise you've been a part of for a quarter of a century and NOT include references to the franchise.
Anyway, the third thing I'll mention has to do with the NaNoWriMo forums. Being the National Novel Writing Month dork that I am, I still peruse there, waiting for next year's NaNoWriMo and looking for good ideas (and often procrastinating and/ or passing the time). Anyhow, while I was looking through the forums, I found a thread entitled "the 12 days of Nanomas." Upon looking further, I found that several Wrimos had compiled a parody of the classic holiday song, "The Twelve Days of Christmas."
Because the song is rather awesome, I copied and pasted it here. Sing along if you want. Enjoy!

On the first day of Nanomas
my inspiration gave to me
a novel idea
that was only slightly crazy

On the second day of Nanomas
My inspiration gave to me
2 cliched characters
and a novel idea
that was only slightly crazy

(skipping ahead to the last verse...)

On the twelfth day of Nanomas
My inspiration gave to me
12 Chekhov's guns
11 heads a-desking
10 characters dead
9 cups of coffee
8 sleepless nights
7 macguffins
6 zany subplots
5 deus ex machinas
4 sequel thoughts
3 plot holes
2 cliched characters
and a novel idea
that was only slightly crazy

No comments: