GUESS WHAT!?!?!? I get to knit something! It's a totally awesome something! And the totally awesome something is going to be TOTALLY AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You may think how utterly Not Exciting this is. And, I admit, me knitting something is totally Old News by the standards of pretty much everyone I know. But I get to knit something AWESOME this time!!! And it's going to be AWESOME! (can you tell that I'm excited about doing it?)
Before I say what it is, I need to digress for a second. (It'll make more sense when I actually get to the bit about what it is I'm making).
So, as you probably know, I'm in a Venture Crew. (Venture Crew is essentially co-ed Boy Scouts.) We can do all the stuff that normal Boy Scouts do, except we do it more awesomely because we're co-ed (and we wear different uniforms because we're not actually Boy Scouts).
Anyway, my Crew is sending the first all-girl team (I think - I don't know whether we will be all-girl) to the Klondike Derby (where you drag sleds around, even when there's no snow, and do Boy-Scout-y things). At each of the towns, where you perform each of the tasks (knot tying, first aid, stuff like that), you get little nuggets, which are basically your points. You don't get any nuggets for the things you don't do right, and whichever team gets the most points wins the thing (yes, it's a competition). You also get points for team spirit, which entails a Flag, a Team Name, and a Team Cheer, among other things, I think.
And that brings me to Why I Get To Knit Something Awesome. That Awesome Something is our Team Flag, for which you get points for originality and execution and stuff as part of the Team Spirit Points. Since I can't go to the Derby (which makes me very sad indeed), my contribution to the endeavor of Winning Klondike is making the flag. I have to design and execute the intarsia for it (intarsia = motifs = single-image things that you knit. Fair Isle can be found on all those weird knit sweaters from the 80's). And the intarsia that I'm designing and knitting onto the flag is that of the Dark Mark from Harry Potter. It's based off of the Dark Mark design from the book rather than the movie, because the Movie Dark Mark is more complicated and harder to design for a Newbie Intarsia Designer like me.
Nevertheless, I'm supremely excited.
I've already started working on it, and it's turning out a lot better than I expected. It's also going a lot faster than I expected. I don't know why this might be, but it is. Maybe I've found more time to knit during the school day. Maybe I've gotten faster at knitting. Maybe doing intarsia makes the process going faster. Maybe I'm just supremely psyched to see how the intarsia worked out and am therefore knitting really fast to see how the proportions worked out and stuff so I can have time to go back and do some frogging if I need to (frogging = undoing).
Well, I have to go knit now. Farewell.
No comments:
Post a Comment