In Creative Writing, we have been doing a LOT of poetry. I stink at profound poetry. I stink at non-profound poetry. I really cannot do poetry while still retaining 98% of my sanity (unless it is a day when my sanity has already gone on hiatus. Then stuff SOMETIMES happens). Anyway, that being said, yesterday was a sanity-fleeing day, and so I wrote some poetry and it turned out okay. It was supposed to be derived from titles that we were given, so... yeah. HERE IT IS!
1
This be the verse
where I tell you why I'm here
This be the verse
where I say that I'm here
This be the verse
when I look back and sigh
This be the verse
when I bid you goodbye
2
They flee from me
those quiet memories
they flee
when I look back
I can no longer recall
what's the name of that tall
building in that courtyard
four years ago,
in Tikal?
They flee from me
those long, gentle days
they flee in the quiet
and in their own ways -
I remember Raymond
and Alex, and Lydia too -
but who was that other
friend that we knew?
3.
The summer day
I danced around the
back yard and ran
to swim in the pool -
that was a good day.
The summer day
we hiked up a mountain
we stood on a peak
we ate lunch with Webelos
and then,
once we returned to war,
it rained.
Again.
That summer day
when we wake before dawn
where we test our endurance
and the strength of our legs
where we sing Broadway
as the sun greets the world -
that will be fun.
4
The unknown citizen
is the citizen,
no matter how
the odds are averse,
and his fame long gone -
This citizen,
despite all of this,
will always save the world.
5
There's a certain slant of light
that catches the dust motes just so
the motes become fairies
and they dance to and fro
then their life is snuffed out
a few hours later
when the sun changes its angle
and the sky grows dark.
There's a certain slant of light
that brings the rainbows to the room
they dance with the fairies
and help the flowers bloom
but then the rainbows
go to their beds
as the sun changes its angle
and the night falls asleep.
6
Acquainted with the night
in the hours
pre-dawn
knowing that the
grumbling we make
will be overruled
by the BFFs of the night -
the choking lions -
the Howler Monkeys.
Our friend the night
he bids us adieu
as the monkeys cease
and we climb up a temple
and feel like Jedi
take a photo -
clouds cover the dawn.
SO yeah. HOORAY!
No comments:
Post a Comment