Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Entry #5, Europe Journal

July 22nd, 2011 9:10 AM (Swiss time), 3:10 AM EST, train to Bern
Well, last night... argh.  I got about an hour and a half of not-exactly-sleep, and breakfast was a cold, packaged apple turnover and some blueberry yogurt.
Getting through customs was relatively easy, but I nearly left my suitcase outside the bathroom.
We accidentally sat in first class when we boarded the train. There's not much difference between here and there, except here the seats are blue and they're red and a bit bigger (though not a lot) in first class.
Now Leila wants me to record an exchange that just occurred between her and Emily (as dictated by Leila after a super-long Photo Op Break):
Leila: when's lunch?
Emily: well, it's 9 AM, which means that it's 3 AM at home... so... it's NOT lunchtime!

The scenery here in Switzerland is amazing. Clouds hang low over the Alps, easily viewed from basically anywhere, because nowhere is more than several kilometers away from them. It seems like we're in rolling farmland one minute, and then two minutes later (like, literally two minutes), we're in suburbs/ urban areas that have French and German graffiti on the insides of tunnels.  The only difference in graffiti here and graffiti in the US is the language - the big letters and hard corners in them are the same.  But here, I've noticed, there are a lot more pictures in the graffiti as opposed to just words.
The hardest thing about being here is that everyone speaks French or German (in Geneva, mostly French).  Luckily, a lot of people speak English too, but their first inclination is to ask you to move in French rather than in English.
I'm going to try sleeping before Bern.

Paige and Emily's French Ordering Lesson:
Can I have a coffee, please? = es-que e peu une cafe, si vu play?
Sugar = sucre

Je voudrais un cafe = I would like a coffee
cafe au lait = coffee with milk

No comments: