Thursday, October 13, 2011

Early NaNo woes, and other musings

Well, I had a sudden realization this afternoon, and it's not a good sort of sudden realization. The sudden realization that I have had is that my NaNoWriMo novel is the most ridiculously complex thing I have ever dared to plan out or attempt to write. And I haven't even started writing it yet.
If it's as ridiculously complex as I think it will be, this does not bode well for November.
I mean really, there is every possible ridiculous subplot and character cliche you can possible imagine worked into this ridiculous work of fiction. The main character's really a princess, which she finds out later in the novel as a major turning point. The annoying jerk/ best friend/ tough guy turns out to be a huge romantic. The wizard knows everything, but he doesn't say how he knows everything; he just does. There's a fairy-pirate who's good with a sword and learns how to work his magic, and how to properly plunder, and uses both skills to good avail in the climax. The main character develops a crush on her best friend. The main character isn't the bravest of sorts, but it turns out she can kick serious ass if she needs too (which she does). The bad guy is wily and cunning, and also a complete softy. The main character has a twin brother and a little sister that she never knew existed, and it turns out that she, not the siblings, is the long-lost family member. The main character doesn't realize she's in love with the best friend/ tough guy until he starts reciting sonnets to her sister (at that point, she doesn't know she has siblings, so the other girl bugs her a lot). There's a prophecy. There's a magical sword that only a hero can wield (and the sister, whose name is Hero, doesn't count, because she doesn't do anything except create emotional conflict and fall in love with someone). The plot is set in motion by someone dying and going into a portal. My hero, a female, is named Romeo.
Yeah. This is going to be difficult. But, then again, who said writing a ridiculously complex novel in a month is easy? Who said writing a novel in a month, PERIOD, was easy? Who said writing a novel at ALL was an easy task?
Okay, I'm getting redundant, and you get the point.
Other News:
Yesterday, I finally picked up last year's NaNo novel in an attempt to complete it. I'm not sure how that's going to work out, since I can't find the original notebook and I don't remember the names of the deities they are saving in this section, but whatever. It'll be kind of ridiculous, because the last date on it was March 28, 2011 (the last time I worked on it, I mean. I date my prose so I can tell how much I've done in a day. It's a habit I picked up from NaNo), and I've sort of forgotten about the characters a little bit. And I'm going to have to type it at some point. But more on that when stuff of an important nature regarding this happens.
More Other News:
Do you know something that's ridiculously hard and possibly of no use to novelists, writers, or any creatively inclined high school student who already has all their math credits? CALCULUS. I don't understand it, nor am I going to use it, but I want to have an eighth class that is AP to bump my GPA. And so I can say I *sort of* know calculus.
This goes on the "Reasons Why This November Is Going To Be The Most Ridiculously Stressful Month Of My Life So Far" as number 548.
The other 547 reasons why November is going to be stressful involve college apps, calculus, novel writing, school, sleep, essays, college applications, calculus, novelling, auditions for the musical, auditions for District Chorus... the list is long. And a bit repetitive.
Also, my mother ordered Chris Baty's book, "No Plot? No Problem!" from Barnes and Noble, and it came yesterday. I'm extremely happy. For all of you who don't know, Chris Baty is the initial founder/ organizer of NaNoWriMo, and the book is essentially a NaNoWriMo survival guide for those who don't know how to manage to write a novel in a month and retain their sanity (and for those who do know but still want to buy the book because it's freaking CHRIS BATY, who is possibly one of the coolest people ever - right up there with Johnny Depp - and who's stepping down in January, much to my sadness).
Anyway, I'm going to go crazy over trying to understand calculus now. Hopefully I will understand it by November, so I will be able to breeze through it and somehow still write a novel, pass three AP classes, and still get enough sleep to stay sane.
But, for now, TO CALCULUS!

No comments: