Monday, October 3, 2011

Literary shenanigans (and college)

Well, it's October. Guess what that means? Halloween! The Rennaissance Festival! Cooler weather!

And, of course, most importantly, final touches for all the preparations that I have been doing since August for NaNoWriMo in November. I must admit, I'm stoked about NaNoWriMo (You could tell? How?), mostly because I want to actually VERIFY this year. That would be nice. But, more importantly, I want to finish my novel this year. I didn't finish the novel last year (it's still in progress and I've barely touched it since April), and I want to finish this novel in a month, regardless of how many words I write, or how many words I go over the goal, or whatever. I WANT TO FINISH THIS, DARNIT!!

Or, rather, I want to start writing NOW so I can stop thinking about whether I should change my heroine's name to Imogen, whether or not I should add in something of hers that the villain wants, and to essentially quench all of those annoying nagging doubts similar to those. I just want to WRITE the darn thing and get it written so I can see how badly I wrote it and apologize to the characters profusely. (yes, I actually regard my characters as real people. Strange, I know.) And I really don't want to wait another month to do it. But I kind of have to. Life is annoying like that.

Anyway, in Supremely Important News: I have OFFICIALLY, as of last night, applied to college. WOOHOO!!! If I wind up being a slacker and not applying to any of the other schools I plan on applying to (not likely, as the rest are the ones that are higher on my "I WANT TO GO HERE" list but have later dates than the one I just applied to), at least I'll have applied to one school, and have the potential for getting in. Maybe. I mean, their GPA is a bit higher than mine, but still. The fact that it's DONE is very nice. That is one less school to worry about.

That means there are six more schools that I DO have to worry about. Brilliant.

I'm actually kind of excited for college. But first, I really want to survive high school.

You know, everyone says the last year in high school is the best, but so far, this statement has been proven utterly UNTRUE. There's more homework, less sleep, and I feel essentially the same as I did last year, just with a bit less anticipation for June because that means I'll be leaving the school that I've spent so much time at. And a bit more stressed out because of all the homework. And also, I am applying to college. You know. The usual stuff.

But I still spend every day in the library, I hang out with the same people I did last year, and I'm still auditioning for a lot of shows. I'm still doing tae kwon do, and I'm still knitting far more than is physically necessary to maintain a healthy lifestyle.

So, really, people, unless you REALLY hate high school and would do absolutely ANYTHING to get out before your senior year, stay in school and don't waste too much time looking forward to senior year (wasting a little bit of time is normal. If you waste too much time, then senior year, especially prom, will most likely fall utterly flat of your expectations, and then life will suck. I mean, some of it's worth it, but please remember to be nice to the little kids and don't kill your grades for nothing).

Still, though. Senior year. I'm still somewhat excited, and, yes, I'm still hoping something crazy epic will happen this year. Maybe I'll get some lead part in a show, out of sympathy for being a senior, or maybe I'll finish NaNoWriMo, edit it for my senior project, and get a publishing deal by the end of the year. Who knows?

Oh, yeah. That's another thing that's different. Senior projects.

For the record, I have absolutely NO idea what I'm doing. I'm still throwing around ideas, and I have a long time to decide, so any suggestions while I'm still sane will be greatly appreciated (preferably nothing that involves too much knitting, too much writing, or not enough sleep).

In the meantime, I'll be in the library or in my room, writing, reading, doing homework, or procrastinating. Or applying to college. Or knitting. Or sleeping. One of those. Most likely.

Guess I should go and deal with some of that now, and stuff...

No comments: