Current Page: 24
Target Page: ditching this part of the challenge. I don't really know what my target page should be, first of all, since I never really did an official word-count-per-page thing, and I'll start editing if I go back and start counting now. My guesstimate is around 300 - 305 per page, with fluctuations in my handwriting and chapter breaks and stuff. But whatever. More on this later.
Approximate Words: 7300-ish.
Location in Story: Demetrius has turned out to be a sexist jerk and I REALLY don't like him. Neither does Romeo. Anyhow, she's just met Puck, who's currently telling her how he came to be there. And Romeo may or may not be starting to like him. (I don't know yet. I'm still in Puck's point of view).
If Romeo starts to like Puck, that's a very BAD thing. There's a reasonably good chance that Puck is gay, first of all. Secondly, even if he were straight, he's not going to break her heart, run away from her or the mission in order to do something for himself, or even dare to fall in love with Hero. If this were any other situation (and if Puck was for sure straight), I would be yelling at Romeo to not even DARE to like Demetrius because Puck is a wonderful being and he is probably going to be the greatest fictional boyfriend ever for anyone, because he is ridiculously awesome, reasonably loyal, and there is going to be mutual respect in the relationship, even if Puck and Romeo only wind up being friends (which is perfectly fine by me). And also because he's a faerie. And a pirate. And he's really nice. And he isn't sexist (which is EXTREMELY important. This is a quality that Demetrius, unfortunately, doesn't possess. Currently, anyway. He may eventually understand that girly girls MAY not be entirely competent *cough*Hero*cough*. I'm not saying ANYTHING against girls who embrace their girlishness, I'm just saying, Demetrius's dream girl is a girl who embraces girlishness because she has nothing better to do. Which is totally annoying. But Romeo MAY change his assumption that ALL girls are like that.)
But when even I start to hate the love interest (even if he's only been around for a few pages, and even if he's not in the current scene), that's bad. That's very, very bad. Because Demetrius is sexist, and Romeo is extremely non-sexist and non-girly, this relationship is doomed.
I mean, Demetrius DOES have the entire novel to redeem himself, but still. His first impression did NOT go down well OR as I had intended it to go down, so that's very, very bad as well. Romeo might not "forgive and forget" his extreme sexism in their first meeting, which will make her willing to just turn up her nose if Hero decides to ditch Demetrius. But this isn't likely to happen, so Romeo and Demetrius will just have to deal with it.
Anyone got any ideas about how to make this bad situation better? Anyone?
SUBJECT CHANGE! Now is the time when I discuss target page count, and how it's probably going to go away this year. I don't really like it, because I haven't done an official words-per-page count for the novel this year (that's a really lame reason for not doing a target page count, I know). I know how to do a word count per page for this, but it's annoying to have to go back and estimate and factor in all the page breaks for the chapters and stuff. So I'm just going to write like crazy and hope I get in enough words to finish by the end of the month.
Which is very likely, considering my current pace.
Well, not the pace I've set for today. The pace I've set for today is one of extreme slowness. I've barely written at all today. Which isn't good. I HAVE written, but not much. I'm still ahead of the word count needed, but still. For me, I'm behind. And that's not good.
But I'll figure something out. It IS Friday, after all. Which means I can write kind of late if I want to, because I can sort of sleep tomorrow morning.
But I can't sleep too late, because tomorrow is District Choir auditions. I'm ridiculously under-prepared because I missed the voice lesson in which I was planning on practicing a LOT for Districts, because I was auditioning for the musical and I got a really late number for the singing auditions. GAAAHHH!
Well, since my dad is probably going to be late picking me up tomorrow, I can just do the writing catch up then, I guess.
Anyway, speaking of the musical, call back lists went up today, and I GOT A CALL BACK! WOOHOO! This is the first time in which I've gotten a call back for the musical, and it's exciting. Call backs are Wednesday, which means I MAY have to miss voice AGAIN. But I will figure that out when I get there. Hopefully I'll get out a bit early so I won't miss the lesson AGAIN.
Okay, I should go write now.
Farewell.
No comments:
Post a Comment