Wednesday, February 11, 2009

love stories....?

Okay so my dad is like this reading fanatic to the extreme. Like he's read practically everything (i.e. wuthering heights, pride and prejudice, Lord of the Rings, Chronicles of Narnia, his dark materials, the whole caboodle and then some), and he also likes to read the Writer's Almanac. Apparently the Almanac says that two completely different polls say the same thing-Wuthering Heights is the greatest love story ever of all time. When I heard that, having not read the whole caboodle of everything on the planet, I yell out, "since when was Wuthering Heights a love story?" At that moment, my mom comes down the hall preparing to leave for something or another. Dad tries the poll on her, and she can't guess it. I give her a hint, saying that it was the thing that I just yelled out for all the world to hear. She guesses West Side Story, Romeo and Juliet, Pride and Prejudice, all very plausible and very probable to make the "#1 best love story of all time" title. When dad finally tells her, I yell, again, "since when was Wuthering Heights a love story?" just as mom yells, "Oh, barf! Why that?" then I yell, "What's Wuthering Heights about, anyway?" and then mom says, "some crazy lady in the attic." which makes me wonder....how can some story about some crazy lady end up as what people think is the best love story ever?
So then I decide to read the summary. And it's basically a cross between Romeo and Juliet, Hamelet, and life.
I gotta go now. dinner.

No comments: